The professional's choice shifts gear now
Pro Tools is your choice, if you have the money and are allowed to spend it. Simply the most professional system you can get today, yet easy to learn and very straightforward to use.You usually buy more fun and less trouble than with cheaper systems.
Digidesign decided to split their products into two classes. The more expensive HD systems are expandable systems up to simultaneously recording 192 tracks of 24bit/192kHz audio. Because of their own DSP hardware this happens without stressing the computer.
They also offer a variety of interfaces.
- Audio interfaces from 96 to 192kHz
- Midi interface with 10 Midi In/Outs.
- Sync interface
- Remotely controlled microphone preamplifier with 8 phantom powered inputs. You can control it either via software or through the control surfaces available.
- ICON integrated console (a big mixing desk)
- D-Show Mixing console (a life mixer)
- Pro Control (a big modular control surface)
- Control 24 (a console developed with focusrite)
- Command 8 (a small control surface)
A very hot tip for recording your tracks is the new Digidesign Mbox with two focusrite mic-preamps. It seems to be designed for capturing high quality audio tracks at 24bit/48kHz. The price is very affordable.
- Pro Tools is industry standard
- Features the best Automation by far
- Straightforward design
- Easy to learn
- Very stable performance
- Some good hardware controllers available
- Still doesn't support interleaved stereo files
- Little support of foreign soft- and hardware formats
- High Price (except free version)
Platform: Mac (OS 8.6 or higher) / PC (NT 4.0 Workstation)
Typical Users: Recording Studios, Postproduction Studios, Professional Homerecording Artists, Professional Musicians
Demo: Download Pro-Tools free (fully working version of Pro Tools FREE)
Supported Hardware Mac: Supports mainly Digidesign Hardware, but basic support of any hardware that can be recognized by the apple sound manager.
Supported Hardware PC: Digidesign Hardware, only PT-free supports some high quality audio cards.